Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 egg white
- powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
- For the buns, combine the milk, oil and 4 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan. Stir and heat until very warm but not boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool until mixture is still warm, but not hot, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture. Add 2 cups of flour and stir to combine. Mixture will be sticky. Cover with a towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
- Add in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Knead to combine.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Press down dough until flat. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of the cinnamon-sugar. Sprinkle on about 1/3 of the raisins and then fold the dough over on itself and flatten again. Repeat the sugar/raisin process, then fold the dough over again. Repeat a third time until all the raisins are used. You may have some cinnamon-sugar leftover.
- Pinch off golf ball-size bunches of dough. With floured hands, quickly roll each into a ball, then turn the edges under themselves. Place in your temp-tations® 11" x 7" baker. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the glaze, whisk the egg white and milk together. Brush onto each roll.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops of the buns are golden brown. Cool slightly before removing from baker.
- For the icing, whisk the egg white with enough powdered sugar for the icing to be very thick. Splash in milk as needed for consistency.
- Add icing to a small Ziploc bag and snip the corner. Make icing crosses on each roll, making sure they're completely cooled first.
Tell us what you think!