2016 Chili Champion Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 Tablespoons dried chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon dried ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope instant hot chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 (15 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 cup IPA beer
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- sour cream (optional garnish)
- chopped scallions (optional garnish)
- cheddar cheese (optional garnish)
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the ground turkey and salt. Cook turkey until no longer pink and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat add onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until veggies are very soft, 10 -12 minutes. Return the turkey to the pan and add the dry ingredients (salt, chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, ground cumin, dried oregano, black pepper and instant hot chocolate). Mix well so that spices coat the turkey and vegetables.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients (Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, diced tomatoes with green chilies, tomato sauce, pinto beans, beer, chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, Tabasco sauce and Sriracha sauce).
- Partially cover the pan and simmer gently on medium-low, stirring occasionally for about 2.5 to 3 hours. Serve, garnish to taste and enjoy in your favorite temp-tations® bowl.
Tell us what you think!