Whole Wheat Penne Primavera with Feta
Primavera means spring in Italian, and this quick meatless dish really earns its name because of all of the colorful vegetables you can use to make it. Whole wheat penne keeps things light, while a combination of tangy feta and nutty Parmesan cheese complements the veggies. Small, sweet grape tomatoes are in season year-round and add a fresh flavor.
- 1 (12- to 16-oz.) box whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups fresh vegetables (such as baby spinach, chopped red onion andsliced mushrooms), or frozen mixed vegetables, rinsed to remove frost
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook penne according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the vegetables and cherry tomatoes, and cook 4 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer pasta to a 3.5- or 4-quart temp-tations® baking dish or bowl. Add the cooked vegetables from the skillet, feta and Parmesan cheeses, salt, pepper and the reserved 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water. Toss all to combine and serve immediately.