Turkey Sausage Strata
Stratas are a lot like savory bread puddings, perfect for breakfast or brunch with a crowd, since you can serve 8 from one dish prepared the night before. I like to use turkey sausage in place of pork sausage to make this hearty dish just a little bit lighter. - Tara
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small loaf Italian bread
- 12 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Spray a 3. to 5-quart temp-tations® baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Break Italian bread into 1-inch pieces and place in baking dish. Bread should fill the dish about halfway.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook turkey sausage until well browned. Crumble the sausage as it cooks, especially if using breakfast links. Remove from heat, and then drain any excess grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over bread in baking dish.
- Add sliced green onions and cooked turkey sausage to the baking dish, stirring until all are combined. Top with Cheddar cheese, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight is best).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, uncover, and bake strata for 45-50 minutes, or until cheese is well browned, and the strata is set.