Traditional Baked Macaroni and Cheese
I usually start my macaroni and cheese on the stove, but one day I was interested in trying it the old fashioned way, starting with dry, uncooked pasta. I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised by how much flavor cooks right into the macaroni as it bakes, surrounded by milk and cheese. It does take a little longer to bake, but it's also time you've saved by skipping the stove.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place butter in a 2-quart temp-tations® baking dish and microwave for 15-20 seconds, just until melted. Shake dish from side to side to coat bottom and sides with the melted butter.
- Place the cornstarch and 3/4 of the Cheddar cheese (reserving the rest to top the casserole later) into a large temp-tations® mixing bowl and toss until cheese is coated.
- Add remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir well. Pour mixture into the greased 2-quart temp-tations® baking dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven, uncover and stir well. Top with remaining Cheddar cheese and return to oven, uncovered. Bake an additional 25-30 minutes, until cheese on top is very well browned. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.