Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg3/4 cup milk
- 2 large egg yolks1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 tbsp cold water
- For pie crust, stir together flour, salt. Combine the shortening until crust looks like small pea sized shapes. Moisten the dough with 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time, knead dough then roll out on a lightly floured surface to 12 inches. Transfer to pie plate, trim edges, prick bottom and sides of pastry with fork and bake in a 450 degree oven for 8 minutes
- For filling, in a medium saucepan stir together sugar, gelatin, cinnamon, allspice, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Once combined stir in milk. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- In a medium mixing bowl slightly beat the egg yolks. Gradually stir in the hot milk mixture. Pour this combined mixture into a large pan and place on stove with medium heat.
- Stir in pumpkin and bring to a gentle boil then reduce the heat and let simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continuously
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl, cover lightly and chill for around 1 hour
- In a medium bowl, combine the whipping cream and the remaining sugar, beating until soft peaks form
- Fold whipped cream into pumpkin mixture and cover and chill for another 30 minutes
- Transfer the filling to your pie crust then let chill for four hours
Tell us what you think!