Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix
Pack all of the dry ingredients for this soup into a decorative jar and give as a gift to friends and family. Don't forget to copy down the recipe for the Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix to give with the jar of soup mix. A handwritten recipe adds such a nice personal touch to any gift!
- 1 cup small pasta shells
- 3/4 cup dried great northern beans
- 3/4 cup dried pinto beans
- 3/4 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 cups water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place pasta in a small resealable plastic bag; place in a 1-qt. glass jar. Layer with beans. Place seasonings in another plastic bag; place in jar. Cover and store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. Makes 1 batch of soup.
- For gift giving, pair soup mix with temp-tations® soup & sandwich set.
- To prepare soup: Remove seasoning packet from jar. Remove beans; sort and rinse. Set pasta aside.
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and discard liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of seasoning packet and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes, carrots, celery and salt; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pasta. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until pasta and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.
This recipe is from my Taste of Home: temp-tations Holiday Cookbook!