Oatmeal Brulee with Ginger Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, soft1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- For the ginger cream: In a small saucepan combine the cream, ginger, cinnamon stick and orange peel. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain and discard solids. Stir in syrup and nutmeg. Set aside.
- For the oatmeal: In a large saucepan bring water to a boil over high heat. Stir in oats, apricots, cherries and salt. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and ¼ cup of ginger cream. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Grease two temp-tations 10 ounce EZ Hold bakers with butter. Place on a baking sheet. Divide raspberries between the two bakers. Spoon oatmeal over raspberries. Sprinkle evenly with sugar. Broil 6 inches from the heat for 7-9 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve with remaining ginger cream.
Tell us what you think!