Mac ‘n Cheese with Sausage & Peas, Please
This is not your typical shells and cheese recipe; by adding sausage and peas, this dish steps up from average to exceptional!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more for dish
- 12 ounces dried macaroni pasta or other small shaped pasta
- 8 ounces sausage, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 10 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated (3 1/2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (5 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a 2.5-quart temp-tations® dish with butter. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and crumbled, about 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter and flour to the sausage, stirring constantly until coated. Add the milk, whisking constantly until boiling and thickened. Turn off heat and stir in the cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and peas; cook until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add the cheese mixture to the pasta and toss to coat. Pour into the prepared temp-tations® dish and top with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake until golden brown on top and the cheese is bubbly, 40 minutes. Serve immediately.