Lisa’s Calico Beans
My mother's friend Lisa cooked for her church's after-school program (as did my mother). This was one of Lisa's signature after-school dishes, where a little can go a long, long way. I'm not exactly sure the significance of adding a can of pork and beans to a big dish of homemade pork and beans, but I definitely know that this dish works!
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can pork and beans
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can white northern beans, drained
- 1 can butter beans, drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté chopped bacon until nearly crispy.
- Add onions to skillet and sauté until bacon is crispy and onions are translucent. Drain well.
- Transfer drained bacon and onions to a 2.5 quart temp-tations® baking dish and cover with remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly hot. Serve immediately.