Homemade Granola Bars
You may have never thought of making your own granola bars, but let me tell you that it is well worth the effort! Choosing your own add-ins and how much of them that you would like to add is nice, but it's the fresh homemade flavor that really sets these bars apart.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole roasted almonds, optional
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 3 quart temp-tations® rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg until frothy. Add brown sugar, butter, honey and vanilla extract, and whisk all until completely smooth.
- Whisk in flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt until all are combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold in oats, almonds and raisins.
- Spread mixture evenly across the bottom of baking dish and cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Press your hands over the plastic wrap to press the mixture down and even it out as best as you can. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 20 minutes, or until bars are beginning to brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting into 16 bars. Cool uncovered and unrefrigerated so as to not create condensation. Bars are best stored individually wrapped at room temperature.
- You can make these with any dried fruit in place of the raisins, or no fruit at all. You can also try adding 1/2 cup of shredded coconut or even 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.