Grandma Maria’s Austrian Breakfast
This is my own foolproof version of my grandmother Maria's famous (in our house!) Austrian breakfast dish. Though she usually prepares these dense, eggy, and raisin filled Austrian pancakes on the stovetop, I've never quite been able to make them as good as hers. I can however whip together this oven baked version with much of the same spirit as her original! Serving alongside raspberry sauce or preserves, and topping with cinnamon and sugar is a must!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 stick butter or margarine, melted
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 1.5 quart temp-tations® baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, egg yolks, and milk. Add flour and baking powder, mixing until a thick batter is created.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk egg whites and sugar until whites have nearly doubled in volume, about 2 minutes. (They do not have to be stiff like meringue, just visibly thicker.)
- Fold the egg white mixture into the flour mixture slowly, until both are combined. (Batter may be lumpy - that's okay.)
- Fold raisins into the batter and then poor all into the greased baking dish. Bake 20 - 22 minutes, or until the top is well browned and the center is set. Serve hot, sprinkled with plenty of ground cinnamon and sugar, and alongside raspberry sauce or preserves for dipping.