Easter Chick Cupcakes
- 6 paper cupcake liners
- 2 Tablespoons butter, soft
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- orange gel food coloring
- brown gel food coloring
- yellow gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cupcake liners in your temp-tations® muffin pan.
- For the cupcakes cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat in the egg, baking powder and baking soda until mixture is smooth.
- Blend in vanilla and milk just until combined. Slowly mix in flour.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one cupcake comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- For the frosting, place sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Slowly increase heat to medium-high, stirring frequently until mixture is clear and boiling. It should register 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- In the meantime place your egg white and cream of tartar in a bowl and beat on high until stiff peak forms.
- Slowly pour the hot sugar mixture over the egg whites while beating on low speed. Add in lemon extract and continue to beat on high speed until the mixture has cooled down, approximately 10 minutes.
- Scoop 1/2 cup into a small bowl and 1/4 cup into another small bowl. Add orange food coloring to the 1/2 cup of frosting and mix well.
- Color the remaining frosting with yellow food coloring and place in a piping bag with a large round tip.
- Pipe a small mound of yellow frosting on top of each cupcake to resemble a pyramid.
- Place the orange frosting in a small piping bag with a small round tip and pipe on the feet and noses as shown in the picture.
- Finally, scoop the brown frosting into a small piping bag with a very small round tip and pipe two eyes onto each chick.