Creamy Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese with Kale
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine the squash, chicken broth, milk, and garlic in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the squash is very tender. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions for an al dente texture. Stir in the kale. Cook for another minute or two. Drain the pasta and kale. Set aside.
- Pour the warm butternut squash mixture into a blender. Add the yogurt, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large temp-tations bowl. Add the cheese and mix well.
- Add the pasta and kale to the bowl and stir until combined. Pour everything into a temp-tations 13x9 baker. Top with breadcrumbs and an extra sprinkle of cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly on the sides. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley on top.