Brown Rice Pilaf
On the stove, whole grain brown rice takes almost an hour to cook! Thankfully, the time is cut way down in this recipe by microwaving right in a temp-tations® baking dish. Though it may seem underdone if you're not familiar with it, whole grain brown rice is chewier and heartier than white rice, which makes it more satisfying and makes it work well as a pilaf. - Tara
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced button or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place butter, yellow onion, mushrooms and garlic in a 1.5-quart temp-tations® baking dish, and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add rice, chicken broth, water, poultry seasoning and slivered almonds, and stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap, and use a fork to pierce top of wrap in center. Microwave on high for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove wrap (dish will be very hot!), and stir. Return to microwave uncovered and heat on high an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir one final time. Return to microwave and heat on high for 5 more minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, salt and pepper to taste, and fluff with a fork. Before serving, garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.