Brown Rice and Veggie Stuffed Peppers
Brown Rice & Veggie Stuffed Peppers: a lightened up, gluten-free favorite that’s literally filled to the brim with delicious goodness.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 links Italian-style smoked chicken sausage (6 ounces), diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped ½-inch pieces, about 2 cups
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach, or 3 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini and sausage and cook until vegetables have softened and sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes more. Add the spinach, salt, red pepper flakes, and zest and cook until spinach is just wilted; remove from heat. Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water and cooked rice.
- Cut the very top off each of the peppers, and remove the seeds and stems inside. Pour marinara in the bottom of a 1.5-quart temp-tations® baker. Place peppers in the sauce and divide the rice mixture between the 4 peppers, packing peppers completely with the filling. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook 10 minutes more. Serve peppers with the marinara spooned over the top.