Asparagus Swizzle Sticks
This fancy appetizer is surprisingly simple to make, and a unique way to set your parties or holiday gatherings apart. The name of this recipe comes from my favorite way of serving – alongside hot soup for swirling and dipping. – Tara
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound asparagus spears
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (11-ounce) can thin pizza crust (such as Pillsbury)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large rectangular temp-tations® baking dish or large Lid-It® with nonstick cooking spray.
- Trim 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the bottom of asparagus stalks and discard.
- Place asparagus spears in a large food storage bag and add olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Shake evenly to coat.
- Unroll pizza crust and slice into long strips about 1/4 inch wide.
- Spin 1 strip of dough around each asparagus spear like the striping on a barber’s pole, and then place wrapped asparagus in the greased baking dish.
- Once baking dish is full, sprinkle all wrapped asparagus with Parmesan cheese and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until puffy and golden brown. Serve immediately. Note: There is usually enough dough and asparagus to make 2 full batches of 16 pieces each.
Tara’s Tip: When buying the asparagus, look for spears that are about as thick as a pencil. Asparagus that are too thick may not cook all the way through before the dough is browned.