Angel Food Cupcakes with Blackberry Frosting
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, soft
- 6 ounces fresh blackberries, pureed and strained
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- purple food coloring, optional
- 18 whole blackberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Move your oven rack to the lowest position.
- Line your temp-tations® 6-cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners. If using one pan you will need to bake these in 4 batches.
- For the cupcakes, sift together the flour, 3/4 cup of sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, mix on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add in the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and mix until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula.
- Fill each cupcake liner two-thirds full with batter and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Blend until fluffy. Mix in blackberry puree and lemon juice until smooth. Slowly blend in powdered sugar until smooth. Add more if necessary.
- Spread frosting on each cupcake with a butter knife or pastry bag. Top each one with a whole blackberry.