3 Bean Chicken Chili with Cornbread Topping
3 Bean Chicken Chili with Cheesy Cornbread Topping is the perfect casserole for Halloween or any other chilly night! A cinch to make, it’s delicious, nutritious and can be made ahead of time.
- 1 onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (8.5-ounce) boxes corn muffin mix
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- Sour cream and chopped chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and crumbled, about 5 minutes. Pour off any extra liquid.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a temp-tations® 4-quart baker. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, chili powder and salt and mix to combine. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, combine muffin mix and cheese in a large temp-tations® bowl. In a separate small temp-tations® bowl, beat eggs and milk and then add to corn muffin mixture until just combined. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven, and spread the corn muffin mixture evenly over the top. Return to oven and bake about 20 minutes, until cooked through and golden.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped chives, if desired.